Social Inclusion & Mobility
Widening access to careers in law through our Access Ashurst programme
We recognise that entering the legal profession is not easy, especially for students who identify as coming from low socio-economic backgrounds, and we are committed to widening access to the legal sector and careers at Ashurst through a range of programmes and initiatives.
Access Ashurst is our flagship social mobility programme in the UK and is based on the principles of PRIME. The programme aims to improve socio-economic diversity within Ashurst and the legal sector. Every year we provide Year 12 students from across the UK access to a programme of paid work experience, skills workshops and mentoring support. This programme is just one example of the many social inclusion and mobility programmes we run globally.
- Since 2011, we have welcome over 300 students to our London office, as part of the programme.
- We work in partnership with charities, social enterprises and schools to reach students most in need of the opportunity.
- Students have joined us from over 90 different schools from across London and other parts of the UK.
- Each year 200 volunteers from Ashurst and our clients take part in the programme, sharing their skills, experience and guidance.
- Awarded Recruitment Programme of the Year at the UK Social Mobility Awards 2020.
- Awarded Best Social Mobility Initiative at the People in Law Awards 2021.
- In 2021, we became one of the first law firms to commit to paying our Access Ashurst students the London Living Wage, recognising the challenge that unpaid work experience poses for students from low socio-economic backgrounds. Read more here.
- In 2021 and 2022, we welcomed two Access Ashurst alumni to the London office as Solicitor Apprentices.
- In 2022, we launched our Access Ashurst Award which supports Access Ashurst alumni with the cost of studying at university.
Apply for our Access Ashurst programme
If you are a student interested in applying for our Access Ashurst programme, please visit the Students and Graduates section of our website or click below.Find out more